“Stillwells LLP ceased trading with effect from midnight on the 30th September 2021. We are unable to provide legal advice or take on new matters.

If you are a former client and you wish to obtain documents which you believe were stored by Stillwells LLP storing for you then please email your request to contactlegacies2021@gmail.com.”


Practice Area Specialist:

Hanah Wright

Hanah has a strong background in property work and has a particular interest in commercial freehold and leasehold premises, sales of development land, business transfers for medical partnerships and surgery relocations, whilst also carrying out residential property work and domestic conveyancing. Hanah also has several years experience in private client work.

Whether you are a professional, first time or “accidental” landlord, Stillwells’ experienced conveyancing solicitors are on hand to assist you with the legalities involved in purchasing a buy-to-let property.

From property acquisition to refinancing your property portfolio, drawing up tenancy agreements, disputes and tax implications, Stillwells is able to assist you throughout the process.

By Choosing Stillwells to represent you, you will benefit from direct contact with a partner, regular updates and excellent value for money.

Stillwells is a member of The Law Society accredited Conveyancing Quality Scheme (CQS), which provides the added reassurance that we operate to the highest professional standards in addition to delivering outstanding customer service.  

Contact us today on 023 8072 7174 or using the form below to arrange a no-obligation discussion.

Frequently Asked Questions

Is there a difference between buying a house to live in and buying to let?
Fundamentally the two transactions are the same, although you may treat the timing differently to make sure a property intended for letting is empty for the shortest possible time (whereas on a purchase to live in your will generally move straight in anyway). Where a property is already let your solicitor should ensure you obtain a Gas Safety Certificate as a minimum.
I am buying a house with a tenant in situ. Do I need a new tenancy agreement?
In short you do not need a new tenancy. On completion of the purchase you take over responsibility for the landlord obligations in the tenancy and your solicitor should notify the tenant that future rent must be paid to you by obtaining a rent authority letter from the Seller.
Are all residential tenancies the same?
All newly granted tenancies in England and Wales are Assured Shorthold Tenancies and governed by the same law. It is important to note however that some older tenancies may be “Rent Act” or “Assured Tenancies” which may give the tenant and anyone living with them additional rights over the property. It is important that you establish which tenancy you have and ensure your solicitor explains your obligations as Landlord. Rent Act and Assured Tenancies are becoming less common but where a tenant has been in occupation for a number of years the law may still apply (even if the tenant has since signed an Assured Shorthold Tenancy).
I am buying a flat and want to let it out. Is there any difference to letting a house?
A flat is held under a lease and so there are additional restrictions to be complied with. Most importantly you should ensure that your lease does not prohibit underletting. Such a clause would prevent you from letting the property and you would only be allowed to occupy yourself. You should bear in mind that in letting a flat, the service charge and ground rent remains your responsibility and the rent received must be sufficient to cover that cost
I am moving home and want to let out my existing house. Is there anything I need to be aware of?
If you have a mortgage your lender will need to consent to the letting. You will also need and Energy Performance Certificate in order to advertise the house for letting and a Gas Safety Certificate before any tenant moves in.